We are nearing completion on Pure Water Monterey, the first full-scale indirect potable reuse project in Northern California. Pure Water Monterey will help transform water resources in Monterey County for years to come by providing a clean, sustainable source of water for Monterey Peninsula residents and businesses.
Monterey One Water (M1W), the Monterey Peninsula Water Management District, Marina Coast Water District, and other entities have partnered to make this $115M water supply project possible. This first-of-its-kind project utilizes four different sources of water:
- Municipal Wastewater
- Agricultural Irrigation Return Flow
- Agricultural Produce Wash Wastewater
- Urban Storm Water Runoff
The project pairs innovative and creative engineering to create the first new regional potable water supply for the Monterey area. To do this, Pure Water Monterey explored innovative solutions to overcome several obstacles such as:
- Treating multiple source waters in addition to wastewater
- Developing a new multi-dilution approach for ocean discharge National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) compliance
- Identifying bio-energy opportunities to create cost efficiencies and continue sustainable practices
- Gaining public acceptance by creating an effective demonstration facility, and
- Maximizing regional benefits through collaboration with multiple public and private partners
We are excited to be the bookends of the Pure Water Monterey Project, serving as project engineers for both Monterey One Water’s Advanced Water Purification Plant and the Monterey Peninsula Water Management District’s Injection Facilities at the local aquifer.
We have provided design and engineering services, permitting and funding support, and facilitation with partner agencies and stakeholders from planning through project delivery. We are currently training facility staff to operate the Advanced Water Purification Facility and anticipate injecting water in the ground this fall.
AWPF construction from 1-24-19
We and all partners of PWM are eager for the future of this project and the impact it will make on the communities and environment surrounding Monterey.