Managing Stormwater in Oregon
On June 21st, KJ Consultants was again the Title Sponsor for the second annual Managing Stormwater in Oregon conference in Portland, Oregon. This conference is hosted annually by the Northwest Environmental Business Council (NEBC). Oregon’s most comprehensive stormwater conference, the event brought together regulated companies, governments, solution providers, and regulators to provide an exceptional forum for learning, networking, and business development. The event focused on industrial and municipal issues and was well attended by treatment solution providers, local municipalities, permit holders, and the agencies responsible for stormwater regulation.
We also featured two presentations at the event to share our case studies in industrial stormwater treatment. If you missed this year’s conference or our presentations, they have been made available here:
- Ross Dunning, PE provided a case study summary of innovative stormwater treatment approaches and solutions at three heavy industrial sites struggling to meet benchmarks for turbidity, zinc, and copper. Ross covered not only a summary of how each system works but the up-to-date performance data and costs
- Sheila Sahu, PE shared case studies of a log yard and a container terminal struggling to meet permit benchmarks for turbidity, metals, and chemical oxygen demand (COD). Sheila’s presentation summarized the pilot studies that were completed to finalize the design as well as up-to-date performance data and costs.
Ports® ’16 was the 14th in a series of international port and harbor development specialty conferences put on since 1977 by the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Coasts, Oceans, Ports, and Rivers Institute only held every three years. This year’s event was held June 12th – 15th in New Orleans, Louisiana. Ross Dunning, PE and Ben Fuentes, PE both presented on KJ’s port work in the Pacific Northwest.
- Ross Dunning, PE and Ticson Mach, PE (Port of Seattle), presented “Gravity-Based Media Filtration for a Waterfront Marine Terminal”
- Ross Dunning, PE also presented “Three Innovative Stormwater Treatment Approaches for Three Linked Industrial Sites”
- Ben Fuentes, PE presented “Innovative Stormwater Management at a Waterfront Log Handling Facility” and “Active Above-Ground Stormwater Treatment at a Break-Bulk and Container Terminal”
See you at StormCon 2016!
Ben Fuentes will also be presenting at StormCon 2016 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Ben’s presentation schedule is below.
- Wednesday, August 24th, 10:00 – 10:30am (Session B62), BMP Case Studies. Subsurface Gravity-Based Stormwater Treatment for a 90-acre Container Terminal
- Thursday, August 25th, 10:00 – 10:30am (Session D01), Industrial Stormwater Management. Active Aboveground Stormwater Treatment at a Break Bulk and Container Terminal
Pacific NW Clean Water Association
Alan Flemming will be presenting this year at the Pacific Northwest Clean Water Association (PNCWA) Annual Conference. The event will be held October 16th – 19th at The Riverhouse on the Deschutes, in Bend, Oregon. Alan is presenting on Monday, October 17th on a case study demonstrating the design, construction, and implementation of a bioretention system as a cost effective, natural, stormwater treatment solution for a large industrial site in southwest Washington.
International Press Coverage
KJ featured on cover of WorldWater: Stormwater Management Magazine
KJ was recently featured as the cover article “Advances in stormwater pollutant removal from industrial sites” in the Summer 2016 issue of World Water: Stormwater Management.
Ross Dunning, PE, and Anita Fitchthorn of the Port of Tacoma explained how three treatment approaches have improved upon traditional stormwater system design concepts.
To access the digital edition of this issue, please click on the weblink provided HERE:
KJ Stormwater Project Featured in CE Magazine
KJ was also featured in an article titled “Triple Treatment” in the July/August 2016 issue of Civil Engineering magazine. ASCE members can access the full article online HERE.
If you are interested in more information on Kennedy Jenks, don’t forget to subscribe to our blog!